Thursday, February 24, 2022

Lighting and Coloring

            My last blog post focused on the costume design aspect of mise-en-scene, but to truly develop my film opening through production design, I must also think about how lighting and coloring will affect the movie’s tone. 

            As of now, my setting is a public bathroom, meaning the lighting is going to be fluorescent, which efficiently contributes to the film’s negative tone. Fluorescent lighting can have the following effects on people: 

  • Difficulty focusing or seeing

  • Lightheadedness or nausea 

  • Anxiety or symptoms of depression 


These symptoms reflect what Andrea is going to be feeling as she is taking the test, especially in such an uncomfortable location. 


            The colors of the location will also impact the tone of the film. The setting should have dull colors to invoke the depressing feeling. 


            With both of these factors in mind, I envision a bathroom similar to these: 


I’ll try scouting for a bathroom this weekend, hopefully I can find one that matches what I have in mind. 


            Furthermore, I’m thinking of editing a dull tint/filter on the movie in post. This would add to the depressing nature of the tone. Pieces that utilize this technique to dramatize include: 


Unbelievable (2019) 


Eternal Summer (2006) 


Twilight (2008)


Not only do I love the indie look the filter gives these movies, but it really works to further the edgy tone and feeling the audience should be feeling while watching.  This is why I plan to utilize it in my film opening.   :)

As always, thanks for reading,

Michelle


References: 

“Fluorescent Light Sensitivity: Causes, Symptoms & Solutions.” TheraSpecs, https://www.theraspecs.com/blog/fluorescent-light-sensitivity-causes-symptoms-solutions/. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Done!

                I'm done! I cannot believe it. It doesn't feel like it's been as long as it has been. This project has definitel...